PTA Advocates for ALL Children
Did you know that PTA has a over a century of speaking for every child with one voice? For over 100 years, PTA has used legislative advocacy to further the objectives of PTA to building a better world for children. In fact, PTA is the oldest and largest child advocacy organization in the country. Since inception in 1905, PTA has been a driving force behind the creation of kindergarten, hot lunch programs, universal immunizations in schools, early education (coining the phrase “preschool”), and so much more. PTA advocates on behalf of all children on the important issues impacting education, health, and safety.
WA State PTA Legislative Platform
The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list. During the odd-numbered years, members vote to amend current issues or to add new, emerging issues to the also supported list.
Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2017
- Social Emotional Learning
- Amply Fund Basic Education
- Closing the Opportunity Gap
- Standards for Para-Educator
- Breakfast After the Bell
2017 WSPTA Supported Issues
- Improving Educational Outcomes for Foster Children
- Engaging Families in Student Success
- Post-Secondary/Higher Education Access and Affordability
- Removing Barriers to Implementing ECEAP (Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program)
- Restorative Justice and School Safety